I am in need of some serious super foods right now. Over the past couple of weeks, I’ve really run my reserves down. Studying, fun with family and friends, running (outdoors, ya’ll!). All the beautiful things I love to do. And so, I find myself in the kitchen yet again, digging through pantry and cooler, in search of something to make that’ll bathe those brain cells and keep me alert and focused.
I love the addition of olive oil to granola. Not only is it an incredible source of healthy unsaturated fats, it adds a flavor dimension that is unique from other granolas I’ve tried. The addition of hemp seeds provides not only essential fatty acids (omega-3’s and 6’s), it supplies trace minerals and is a good source of protein, one of the few vegetarian foods that supplies all 9 essential amino acids.
Ditto on the omega-3’s provided by the walnuts.
I don’t typically add fruit to my granola, rather I prefer to add fresh berries/peaches/etc. or frozen, if out of season. If you’re really into the dried fruit thing, I recommend adding it after the granola has finished baking, as the fruit tends to dry out and become excessively chewy. Figs might be a good option here, or mulberries.
Fold it onto yogurt, or add almond milk, or simply enjoy by the fistful. Yes, it’s that good.
Hemp-Walnut Olive Oil Granola
2 c oats
1 c hemp seed
1.5 c walnuts, chopped
1/3 c olive oil
1/3 c honey
2-3 tbsp sugar (I use raw, unprocessed)
freshly grated nutmeg, about ¼ teaspoon
1.5 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, nuts and seeds.
- To a small saucepan, add all liquid ingredients, sugar, salt and spices. Warm gently at low temp, until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Toss dry mixture with wet and put in a shallow roasting pan or lined cookie sheet and bake for ~40 minutes. Give a toss every 15 minutes or so to encourage even browning.
- Let cool, then store in an air tight jar.
It should last for about a month, however I challenge you to let that happen.